JUST ME & THE PEN... here it is

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

Today, sitting in church, after being handed a bulletin, I read the scripture on the front, and it made me think.  The scripture is from Proverbs 31:26.  It says, "She opens her mouth with wisdom, and loving instruction is on her tongue."  She opens her mouth with wisdom... wow!  When these little people look at me for the answer and 'wisdom' awaits to come out, is that what they hear when the words start to flow?!?  Sometimes, in my reality of a 'price check', I had to sigh, only to admit to myself, that is not what they always get from me.  The part says, "loving instruction...", yeah, my words aren't alway loving.  Ouch!  How can I be given such a gift in what I truely adore, the children that are mine, if only for a little while... how come I do not always use the words they long to hear?  How come I am quick to anger, or feel irritated?  Why do I let the decisions of CHILDREN make me feel as though 'they should know better'? And even if they do know better, what can I do, and how can I be with them, that is different from what I am doing, still to show them the way, or a way that would be pleasing to God?  I came to the realization (of what I already knew), that my actions and my words are what is going to ultimately make them who they will turn out to be.  Shew, heavy, right?
Well, today is the day I am going to make that a daily awareness for myself!  I want to talk to them differently.  I want them to hear love and not aggrivation.  I want them to know that everytime I open my mouth, that loving words is what is waiting for them to hear, even in their moments of discipline. I don't want them to feel like they are in my way, or a stain on my white shirt.  I want them to know I love them, even more I want them to know how much Jesus loves them!
"Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6
"...do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord." Ephesians 6:4

I love being a mom, I love the responsiblities that come with this huge job, I love the joys and laughter they bring me when they do the complete innocent, but overly hilarious, little things.  I thank God for my blessings and ask for forgiveness for all the times that I have taken this life, these moments for granted.

Big day, I know, but I will tell you, this has been the MOST FILLING and REWARDING mother's day ever!  Thanks Nate, Tatem, Taylor, & Caleb for being such awesome kids, and for the privelage of calling me "mom"!  I love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment